What is ABAP Templates:
- ABAP Design templates help programmers to create/modify standard as well as with custom code/comment snippets
- Every project must follow certain design templates as per established coding standards
- Use Design templates across the team and imported to the Eclipse of every developer and use them for different kind of coding constructs
- In addition, ABAP templates complement the “Pattern” available in SAP GUI development workbench.
You may check more features of Eclipse ADT HERE.
How to access ABAP templates:
Menu >> Windows >> Preferences >> ABAP Development >> Editors >> ABAP Templates >> New or Change or Import
New project should define new ABAP Templates as a part of project convention and good practices. In addition, it allows ABAP Developers to Edit, Remove, Export and Import ABAP Templates in Eclipse.
ABAP Templates in Eclipse creation Steps:
- Click New button
- After that, Enter Name of ABAP Template in Eclipse
- Provide Description of Template
- Enter Pattern
- Take help of Variables if contextual dynamic variables to be inserted in Pattern
- Click OK
- Create ABAP Template as below:
How to use ABAP Template:
- Open any code where template to be applied.
- Enter initial letters of Template and Press Ctrl + Space for auto assistance
3. After that, Use arrow keys to select correct template and press Enter. Template is inserted as below:
Note: There are Import and Export options available to share and reuse templates across the team.
Where to use ABAP Templates:
Every good project should establish set of good coding practices for developers. For instance, how to start a code and how to change a code. ABAP templates in Eclipse help to achieve one of this aspect. ABAP templates can be used to create header comments or change logs. Similarly, this can also be used as a personal coding assistant to increase productivity. In addition, this makes the code more manageable and ready for future understanding and changes. Above all, using templates can help reduce development turnaround time.
In conclusion, ABAP templates in Eclipse bring development homogeneity in given project. Therefore, all project leads should encourage developers to utilize ABAP templates more effectively.